April Edition #278

April means it’s time to kick it into high gear and finish strong. We’re sure you can’t wait for this month to be over as you work on final papers and study for final exams. To help you end the semester on a good note, we’ve got some excellent resources for you in this month’s newsletter starting with our tax section. Be sure to complete your required forms and mail them to the IRS before the deadline. We also have information on a language learning service, community colleges and student loans in our April edition. Check them out and get ready for summer to be here soon!

The International Student Team


Tax Returns Due on April 18th

There isn’t much time left to file your tax return. All international students who were studying inside the US during 2021 must file Form 8843, even if they didn’t earn income during that year. If you did earn income last year, you may also be required to file other documents like Form 1040NR. You can visit our Student Tax Return section for guidance during tax season, and if you require professional tax advice for more complicated returns, you might want to also contact Sprintax for help.


What Can You Do After Completing Your Degree Program?

Graduation is coming up fast and if you’re graduating this semester, we’re sure you can’t stop thinking about your next step. On an F-1 visa you will have a limited number of days to depart the US and return to your home country upon the completion of your academic program, unless you have been approved to extend your stay. Check out our section on options available to you after graduation, and start making your plans!


Featured Schools

Full Sail University
Students at Full Sail University come from more than 65 countries which allows for a diverse educational experience. Collaborative learning is encouraged there as more than 110 world-class studios and many spacious film soundstages have a home on the Full Sail campus.


Gonzaga University
In the integrative first-year pathway program at Gonzaga University, faculty, staff and administration will be by your side every step of the way from helping you understand US culture to helping you with the documentation needed to study as an international student.


University of Roehampton, London
Are you considering doing a master’s degree in the UK? Roehampton offers conversion courses in competitive industries. You’ll study in world-class facilities, alongside our exceptional academic staff, who’s research is committed to advancing a just, sustainable, and creative society. Discover the University of Roehampton, London’s campus university, at our Digital PG Open Day on Saturday 14 May.



Learn a New Language Online

Before studying in a new country, it is important to become familiar with its official language(s). Lingoda can help you learn English, Business English, German, French and/or Spanish from the comfort of your home. All you need is a computer and a reliable internet connection. Classes are available 24/7 and you are guaranteed quality instruction from one of more than 1,500 native-speaking teachers.

Not ready to pay for classes yet? Lingoda offers a 7-day trial period which includes either 3 group classes or 1 private class so you can try out their services at no cost to you. Get started with learning a new language!


Have You Considered Community College?

Community colleges are small, two-year institutions that typically offer courses at a lower tuition rate than four-year universities in the US. If attending a four-year university in the US is out of your budget, starting at a two-year community college then transferring to a four-year university could save you thousands of dollars. Additionally, community colleges are a great option for students who are looking to enter the workforce as soon as possible. Associate degree programs can be completed in just two years whereas bachelor’s degree programs typically take at least four years to complete. If you’re interested in learning more about studying at a community college as an international student, you can read more on our community college page.


Find Out if You’re Eligible for a Student Loan

Need a student loan but can’t find a private lender that meets your needs? You can use our student loan search tool to quickly see if you are eligible to apply for a student loan. Our tool will provide you with a list of lenders that work with international students at the school you attend. Plus, if you don’t have a cosigner, you might still be eligible for a loan that doesn’t require a cosigner! Use our tool to see what’s available to you.