301 West Pensacola St., Tampa, FL 33624
Phone: 813-555-6934 Email: NatalieMarsh@googlemail.com
To apply my broad, cross-sectional entrepreneurial experience in business administration to transition into business
law. Specifically, to assist and counsel local business owners on their contracts, rights and responsibilities to
other businesses and the community.
State of Florida
Bar Admission, 2013
Florida State University College of Law, 2013
Business Law, Juris Doctor
Florida State University, 2007
Master’s in Business Administration
University of Tampa, 2003
Marketing and Communications, Bachelor of Arts
Hunter & Harp Law Firm
- Informed clients of licensing and security laws, infringement laws, and general guidelines concerning labor,
taxes, and bankruptcy
- Assisted in tax file preparation and copyright materials for local business owners
- Counseled clients in detailed contract negotiations
- Supported attorneys in protecting the intellectual property of all clients
- Performed initial research on precedent cases and interviewed clients directly
Hunter & Harp Law Firm
Founder and CEO
- Utilized extensive law knowledge to comply with all federal and state business licensing laws
- Negotiated contracts for leases as well as 10 part time employee contracts
- Generated business and marketing plan creating $45,000 in annual revenue over the first calendar year
- Reduced operating costs by 15% through energy conservation initiatives and renegotiating supplier contracts
- Adhered to all Health and Safety procedures while creating quality pastries at a fair price
- Ensured complete customer satisfaction on a daily basis and maintained positive workforce at all times
Skills & Honors
- Summa Cum Laude, 2013
- Dean’s List, 2008 - 2011
- Business Law
- Microsoft Office
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Fluent in Spanish
Sample Career Transition - Law Resume
Career transitions can be tricky, but with the right tools your resume will explain where you have been and why you are the best candidate for the job. Because of this, your Objective Statement is important for filling in some of the blanks that may be in your resume. This is the perfect place to briefly explain the direction you want your career to go at this point in your life.
Regardless of your past experience it’s nearly always possible to mold your past to fit the vision of your future. For example, Natalie started her own bakery business and has since taken the Bar exam and wants to transition into business law. Even though baked goods and law are completely different fields, they have a lot in common since she happened to own the bakery.
Owning any kind of business requires quite a bit of experience with law from obtaining the proper permits to zoning laws and Health and Safety inspections, so use this experience to your advantage. On top of this, Natalie mentioned specifically in her Objective that she wanted to work with local business owners, so that fact that she was a small business owner only adds to her resume.
Key Points to Remember:
Utilize your Objective: When transiting careers it’s easy for your future employer to become confused trying to link your past experiences and the job you’ve applied for, so connect the dots!
Utilize your cover letter to explain the reasoning behind the career transition and exactly what experiences and skills you have acquired that will be of use in your new position.
Wow your Audience: Keep in mind that the law professional reading your resume will probably not have any experience or knowledge of the work that goes behind owning a bakery, so be sure to spell out your accomplishments. It’s important for the employer to know that your business was successful and you aren’t transitioning careers because your bakery went belly-up.
Showcase your Education: Going back to school and passing the Bar exam is imperative for any career in law, so be sure to place these accomplishments front and center. Also, internships show your desire to learn, so be sure to list your duties and quantifiable accomplishments.
This sample resume is part of the InternationalStudent.com Resume Writing Center.