Student Tax Return
The US tax system can be daunting, with so many different forms, so many different options and deductions to choose from — it is vital that you get it right! All international students and scholars with J, F,Q and M visas are required to file at least one tax form each year.
To help students with their tax filings, InternationalStudent.com has partnered with Sprintax, a company that specializes in helping international students submit the proper forms to the IRS.
Why File your Taxes?
Filing your taxes online is very easy, but you are probably asking why you need to do it? Well here are the top 6 reasons to file your taxes:
- You may receive an income tax refund - Most international students filing a nonresident tax return receive a tax refund.
- Take advantage of tax treaty benefits - Tax treaties reduce the tax liability of international students working in United States working in United States. Using tax treaty benefits can save you a lot of money and increase your tax refunds.
- Not incur penalties and interest - Late filings can cause this to occur.
- Meet requirements of U.S. visas - Abide by laws of USA is required to keep USA Visa.
- Start Statue of limitations running - Once return filed, tax authorities usually have just 3 years to make additional tax assessments. If no return is filed taxing authorities are not limited.
- Avoid being taxed on your worldwide income - ALL international students on F, J, M & Q Visa must file Form 8843 to exclude the days of presence from the Substantial Presence test which determines your tax residency. Failure to file Form 8843, Statement for Exempt Individuals, at least in theory could subject them to USA income taxes on their worldwide income.
Get Started With Sprintax
Don't need any help, and want to complete your forms and file your taxes on your own? Visit our tax FAQs page for more information on forms and filing.