As an international student looking for a job, you will need to make sure to be compliant with the terms of your visa. You will need to know all about the requirements before you begin looking for a job.
To get more information about your visa and how this will work please either contact your international advisors at university, or visit the UK Visa's website for more information.
Once you've gathered your information, you can start looking for a job, and the InternationalStudent.com Job Centre has information to help you find a job.
Some helpful tips for job hunting:
- Research the employer, either through their website or calling their offices to get some more information. See if you can find any articles or other information about the company online. The more you research, the better chance you will have at an interview.
- Understand your strengths and weaknesses. If you can make a list of these, you will be able to draw on them in an interview.
- Submit your resume online and bring some on paper for the in-person interview. This shows you have put in extra effort.
- Follow up with companies when you have sent in your resume. After 1 or 2 weeks, call them to make sure they have received it.
- When you get to an interview, practice as much as possible. There are many good websites where you can practice mock questions. This along with your research of the company should give you a leg up on other candidates.
- If not given, ask for a written job description and company prospectus or profile.
- At the interview, wear business appropriate clothing and keep your appearance neat and tidy. Remain confident with eye contact and strong, firm answers.