Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland with a population of nearly 2.2 million, and is the third most populous city in Australia. Brisbane is Australia’s New World City, as it is very culturally diverse. It is one of the major business hubs in the country and has one of the fastest growing state economies. Why are international students choosing Brisbane?
Quality of Life
Brisbane has one of the lowest costs of living in any capital city in Australia. Tuition in Brisbane is low, particularly in comparison to the quality of the education it buys. This is ideal for international students looking for an affordable place to study. Brisbane is a safe and friendly city, with an easy to navigate public transportation system. Brisbane also has more sunny days per year than any other Australian capital city.
International Students in Brisbane
Brisbane is the most inclusive study destination in Australia. It is home to Australia's largest city Orientation Day - the Brisbane Welcomes International Students Festival - which gives international students a chance to explore everything that Brisbane has to offer, then personally meet the Lord Mayor and enjoy free music and food. This is followed by the chance to network at the annual Lord Mayor's International Students Friendship Ceremony.
Brisbane is a diverse city, with 21.7% of residents born outside Australia and 16% speaking a language other than English at home. This makes Brisbane is an exceptionally inclusive city, and international students will feel right at home. They will also have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, not just Australia.
International students who study in Brisbane will have the opportunity to travel and explore outside the city. Brisbane is the gateway to two of the world’s largest sand islands and sub-tropical hinterland rainforests: the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coasts. Each of these are under two hours of travel time away.
Things to Do in Brisbane
There is no shortage of things to do in Brisbane. Some of the main attractions of Brisbane include but definitely are not limited to:
- Southbend Parklands – a family-friendly parklands with riverside cycling and walking paths, beautiful gardens, an inner city beach, and a large range of dining and shopping options.
- River cruises – allow you to view the city from the river. There are a variety of different cruises from which to choose.
- Mt. Coot-tha lookout – provides an incredible panoramic view of Brisbane City.
- Riverlife Adventure Centre – visitors can kayak or stand up paddle board down the Brisbane River, abseil or rock climb the Kangaroo Point Cliffs, hire a bike or rollerblades, and much more.
- XXXX Brewery – visitors get a free tour of the Ale House, as well as the opportunity to taste the local favorite brew.
- Fortitude Valley – dedicated entertainment precinct where you can go to listen to live music from great performers and bands.
- Story Bridge Adventure Climb – one of only three bridge climbs in the world, the Story Bridge Adventure Climb runs at any time of day: dawn, day, twilight, and night.
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary – see and learn about Australia’s wildlife, have your photo taken with a koala, and feed a kangaroo.
Universities in Brisbane
Brisbane offers world-ranked education from a number of different universities. There are three universities in Brisbane, offering courses of study from Law and Medicine through Business, Marketing, Tourism, IT, and Biotechnology. The universities in Brisbane are:
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Queensland
- Griffith University
For a full list of schools to consider in Australia, visit our Australia school search.