Sign in to Your Account Done
Forgot account info?

Don't have an Account?

Register Now!

International Student
Study In:

Work Study Australia


The Australian immigration system allows students visiting the country on a student visa the chance to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and during vacations students can work full-time. This opportunity makes it much more affordable for students to attend school, funding some of their education through work.

Part-Time Work

Most student visas in Australia give international students permission to work up to 20 hours per week while in school. Before seeking work, international students should confirm that their visas allow for it. Visa information is held by the Australian Department of Immigration (DIAC) and can be accessed at any time using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. Students with existing qualifications or work experience may be able to find part-time work in the field of their choice. Many Australian industries offer part-time work, such as retail, hospitality, tourism, agricultural, sales, administration, and more. These industries generally offer flexible hours for students.

Paid or unpaid internships are also a viable option for students wishing to gain work experience in their chosen field while they study. Students may also choose to volunteer for charities and on-government organizations.

Finding Part-Time Work in Australia

Networking is a great way to find a job. International students in Australia should network among themselves in order to let each other know that they are looking for work. Listings in local community newspapers and supermarket boards is another option, as well as job notice-boards found on campus. Many large companies list opportunities on their websites, so international students looking for work should check online. Students might also try registering their details at a recruitment firm. These firms help place people in casual or short-term work.

Skilled Occupations List

The Skilled Occupations List (SOL) is a list of occupations that are in need in Australia. This list is comprised of four major groups: managers and administrators, professionals, associate professionals, and tradesperson. Because the Australian government wants a skilled migration program that is responsive to the needs of the Australian labor market, the SOL changes in relation to labor and market needs. This means there is no guaranteeing that an occupation listed on the SOL will remain for the time it takes a student to finish his or her studies.

Workers’ Rights

Everyone who works in Australia, including international students or people on working holiday visas, has basic employment rights. These rights include entitlement to a minimum wage, the right to challenge unfair dismissal, breaks or rest periods, and a healthy and safe work environment. Most employers in Australia are covered by an “award,” which sets minimum wage and conditions for any given field of work or industry.

Tax File Number

In order to work in Australia, international students need to get a Tax File Number (TFN). Students who want to work during their studies in Australia should first visit the Australian Taxation Office to get their TFN. They will need to provide their name, current address, and date of birth. They may also need to supply their date of arrival in Australia, passport, and proof of enrollment.

There are many reasons for students to work during their time spent studying in Australia. These reasons range from helping to assist with living expenses to gaining work experience in their area of study. Working in Australia can be a great way for international students to truly experience life in Australia.

Related Content:

Get the International Student newsletter!