Sign in to Your Account Done
Forgot account info?

Don't have an Account?

Register Now!

International Student
Study In:

Student Visas

Anyone who will be studying in the United States could be issued one of the three following visa types for international students: F1 Visa, J1 Visa or M1 Visa. You may be asking, “What visa do you need to work as an international student in the US?”. The F1 and J1 Visas allow for the possibility of employment but does not guarantee it. The M1 Visa, however, does not allow for the possibility of employment. We’ve broken down each of these three types of international student visas so that you can get familiar with them and how they will impact your life in the US.

Types of International Student Visas

F1 Visa
Academic Studies
The "F" visa is for academic studies. An F1 visa is issued to students who are attending an academic program or English Language Program. F1 visas are by far the most common form of international student visa in the U.S. F1 students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time student status. F1 status allows for part-time, on-campus employment (fewer than 20 hours per week). Additionally, students can work on optional practical training (OPT) for up to one year after completion of their academic program. Students are expected to complete their studies by the expiration date on the I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status).

Learn more about the F1 Student Visa

J1 Visa
Practical Training
A J1 visa is issued to students who need to obtain practical training that is not available in their home country to complete their academic program. J-1 student status allows for similar employment as the F1 visa, with similar restrictions, as long as permission is given by the exchange visitor program sponsor.

Learn more about the J1 Student Visa

M1 Visa
Non-Academic /
Vocational Studies
An M1 visa is issued to a student who is going to attend a non-academic or vocational school. M-1 visa holders for technical and vocational programs are not permitted to work during the course of their studies. The M-1 student visa applicants must have evidence that sufficient funds are immediately available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of intended stay.

Learn more about the M1 Student Visa

The US Visa system can be extremely difficult and complicated to navigate. Please be sure to visit our immigration center which will provide you with more detailed information about specific student visa's for the USA.

Living with your Student Visa in the USA

As you begin to think about funding sources for your educational and living expenses in the United States, remember that you cannot count on working in the United States unless you have been granted a teaching or research assistantship. Immigration regulations are very strict with respect to working while carrying a student visa, and when you submit evidence of your financial resources, you cannot rely on potential income. The income on which you base your application must be assured, and it must be equal to or exceed the costs of the first year of your studies.

Careful long-term and short-term planning is necessary to ensure that you will have a rewarding educational experience in the United States. If you are realistic about your financial needs, you will be better able to enjoy the exciting academic and cultural experience of living and learning in the United States.

Be sure to start exploring your funding options and establish your budget well before you plan to start your studies abroad!

Create a Budget

The International Student scholarships database contains frequently updated information about scholarships, grants and assistantships. If you are considering a research or teaching assistantship, please search the available options.

Applying for your Visa

When putting together your application for a student visa, you will first need to research the admission policy for your university. Keep the following items in mind:

Academic Eligibility

Every school has different academic eligibility criteria. Your school will tell you what their requirements are. If you are still in the process of researching different schools, you can use the USA School Search to research general academic standing and test scores.

Financial Stability

You will need to show that you can support yourself without having to work.

Health Insurance

You may have to show proof of health insurance in order to cover any medical expenses should you need any medical assistance.

Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

Find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate

For detailed application information and help preparing for your visa interview, please visit the F1 Visa Application process section.

Your arrival at the United States Port of Entry

You need to be aware that even if your visa is granted, it does not guarantee your entry into the United States. It is ultimately up to the CBP [Customs and Border Protection] to let you into the United States. It is also the job of the CBP to determine how long you may remain in the United States.

At the port of entry, a CBP official validates Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure, which notes the length of stay permitted. This will be a small white card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Protection upon your entry to the U.S. The form I-94 is your permit to stay in the U.S.

How Long You Can Stay in the US After Graduation

Per US immigration law, students with F visas must leave the US within 60 days after the program end date that is listed on Form I-20. Students with J and M visa status must leave the US within 30 days after the program end date that is listed on Form I-20. However, if you wish to extend your stay in the US, you may request a visa extension through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. Before requesting a visa extension, we recommend exploring your visa options after graduation.

How You Can Change Your Visa Status

While living in the US, your plans may change and you might have to change your visa status. If you wish to do this at any time while living in the US, you do not have to apply for a new visa. You must request to change your nonimmigrant status through USCIS. We recommend that you notify your Designated School Official (DSO) about your desire to change as it’s important that your school is aware of any changes to your nonimmigrant status, and your DSO can help you through the process.

After determining your student visa situation, you should carefully examine the healthcare options available to you while studying in the USA. Learn More

Related Content:

Get the International Student newsletter!